Located in Map Ta Phut Industrial Estate, Rayong province, Thailand, the Air Separation Unit plant is a joint venture with PTT and is capable of producing over 450,000 tons per year of liquid oxygen, nitrogen and argon to supply the new investment in the Eastern Fruit Corridor (EFC), Thailand’s strategy.
Bangkok Industrial Gas Co., Ltd., Thailand’s Innovative Industrial Gas Solutions, formed the joint venture with PTT Group, the national oil and gas conglomerate. The total investment of this ASU project is around 1.5 Billion Baht ($47M.), which is expected to come onstream in 2021 serving industrial operators and medical services.
“The Air Separation Unit (ASU) is starting from the strategy of the PTT Gas Business Unit, which aims at bring the cold waste from LNG regasification to produce industrial gas products, previously, the cold waste has been released in the form of chilled water into the sea. The plant brings tremendous environmental and energy efficiency benefits. The air separation unit is expected to reduce CO2 emissions at 28,000 tons per year and helps protect the environment by reducing emission of chilled water waste from PTT operations in the gulf. Additionally, complying with the government’s Thailand 4.0 policy.” Mr. Chansin Treenuchagron, President and CEO of PTT Group said.
“This joint-venture is 49% owned by BIG, while the rest 51% take is held by PTT Group. The joint-venture combines strengths of the 2 companies as BIG is Thailand’s Innovative Industrial Gas Solutions with more than 30 years of experience while PTT is keen on energy management. The ASU will be developed with the advanced technology and high standard safety practice from Air Products, a global leader in the LNG and ASU technology, BIG’s parent company. Furthermore, the project will support the Eastern Fruit Corridor, Thailand’s strategy. The government will allocate a budget of 1.58 billion baht for the project. The eastern provinces are the country’s fruit plantation hub. This air separation unit project will supply liquid nitrogen to that project, and it will add value by preserving and freezing fresh fruits, while the gas can be used in the medical sector, which is a new targeted industry of the future.” Mr. Piyabut Charuphen, Managing Director of BIG said.